Notes From Supergirl

My Diary from the Trenches

Day 56


Overall, things seem to be going in a good direction but it has been rough. A couple of days ago the doctors noticed that my kidney function numbers doubled, so they decided to pull me off of the anti-fungal that I was on, as well as all Ibuprofen because that can impair kidney function as well. However, they also didn’t want me to take Tylenol because that processes through your liver and they didn’t want anything interfering with fighting the infection. So yesterday following a blood transfusion I started to run a low fever which went up and down all afternoon and all through the night. I didn’t get out of bed for hours.

The result of all this is that the doctor now feels confident that my fevers are still coming from the infection and the fact that I have been taking medicine for them has been masking them. But, she considers the infection stabilized, which is good. She said that if the infection were progressing, I wouldn’t be running the halls or walking around – I would still be in the pain I was in a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, the fevers are just part of it and for some people they last for weeks. As far as going forward, we are doing another CT scan today to check on the infection and I will stay off of the one anti-fungal until my kidney function returns to normal.

As part of the process of bringing my kidney numbers back to normal, they have been pumping me full of fluids for two days. My face is so swollen you would think I was in a boxing match – and clearly lost! But the good news is that when they weighed me, I was back up to my normal weight thanks to all this water.

In between all of this stuff, Saturday night I got to have date night with Brian – sushi and video games. And Sunday morning, Amy, Adam, my Aunt Helen and the boys all came down and we did brunch in the park across the street. It was really great to see everyone.

What happens now? They’re letting me have Tylenol every 6 hours to control the fevers and we’re watching and waiting to see if the oral medication may help reduce the fevers as well, which would be awesome because then I wouldn’t have to go home with an IV medication. As far as when I’m going home, I was told that if my CT scan shows improvement and my kidneys get back to normal, that will probably be the ticket. At this rate, that could be tomorrow or Wednesday.

posted under The Daily Record
7 Comments to

“Day 56”

  1. Avatar July 26th, 2010 at 1:56 pm Kia Says:

    Hi Jess! Hoping that things continue to go in a positive direction. Fingers crossed that you will be able to go home soon. Hugs and blessings!!!


  2. Avatar July 26th, 2010 at 3:08 pm Mina Says:

    Hope you can go home very soon, Jess.

    Lots of love to you!

  3. Avatar July 26th, 2010 at 4:28 pm amy Says:

    Jess –

    It was great to finally see you this weekend. You looked fabulous & were truly a sight for sore eyes. Also really glad we got to spend some quality time with the boys – they are amazing! Looking forward to our next visit (either at your house or in Milford, please)

    Much love,

  4. Avatar July 26th, 2010 at 8:19 pm Holly Says:

    glad things are looking up! Are you seeing blue yet?!

  5. Avatar July 26th, 2010 at 9:45 pm Melly Says:

    so glad you got some fresh air for a bit, though wish it weren’t 95 degrees when you finally escaped! We are all thinking of you all the time, Jess!

  6. Avatar July 26th, 2010 at 10:53 pm Julie Says:

    So glad to hear things are getting better. I hope you can come home tomorrow!

    Love you – and Melly is right – we are ALL thinking of you ALL the time!
    See you soon Supergirl!

  7. Avatar July 27th, 2010 at 11:42 am Meagan Says:

    Jess, that’s great! Keep fighting. And we will pray that you will be home by Wednesday!